Monday, November 17, 2008

We left yesterday morning for the long journey to Ethiopia. We had layovers in Chicago and DC and now this morning we are waiting to get our flight to Ethiopia. "Only" 14 hours left and we will be there. Our only hiccups have been that 1) We forgot the stroller and then we forgot to buy one here in DC last night. Anyone who knows my stroller pains from Haiti will understand why this is sooooo incredibly ironic 2) Our carryons were too heavy for the flight to Ethiopia (we didn't even know they weighed those!). For those traveling to Ethiopia after us, your carryons can be no more then 20 pounds. We had to throw away our clothes we wore yesterday and shift a lot of things around but we finally were in compliance.

We are both filled with excitement (and a little fatigue) for the journey ahead of us. We will soon be in the birth place of our son! A place of beautiful people and culture. A place with one of the oldest histories in the world. I have felt a deep connection with the Ethiopian people for years now. And now I will get to see this wonderful country first hand.

We have a day to kill when we arrive so we will be touring Addis Abbaba and visiting AHOPE orphanage. This is a wonderful orphanage that takes care of HIV+ orphans. They house over 400 children, all of which has access to life saving medicines, schooling and food. We are very excited to deliver donations and love on kiddos.

Then on the 19th it is off to Kidane to pick up our new son for the day! We will have our embassy appointment in the afternoon. PLEASE pray with us that our visa process goes smoothly. We are praying in earnest that Teddy and I will be able to leave on Thanksgiving but we may have to stay until as long as Dec 5th. This will be quite difficult as we cannot leave the Guest House due to the new Ethiopian restrictions which state I cannot take Teddy into public. Spending two weeks couped up in our room, away from my other babies, will be hard. But I have no doubt he is worth it :).

To my babies at home: Mom and Dad LOVE you sooooooo much!! I hope that you are being super sweet for Auntie Rhonda. Due your jobs and homework without complaining. We hope that you had a wonderful day at school, swimming and scouts. Zachary thank you for always working so hard and not getting discouraged. Maya thank you for always being a peace builder and making sure everyone is happy. Emmanuel thank you for always playing so nicely with your siblings and being a good sharer. Allison thank you for being so creative and coming up with fun games for you and your brothers and sisters to play. Naomi thank you for always being so loving and giving great hugs and kisses. Clarissa thank you for always making everyone smile, no matter their mood. Mom and Dad will be gone a long time but we are coming home with your new brother so it will be worth it.

Love,Kelly

3 comments:

~Our Family~ said...

I hope that everything goes smoothly and you can come home soon... I will pray for you guys... Take care can't wait for more updates..

Logan said...

Good luck to you. You will be in our prayers. Bummer about the stroller, but the good new is this time you've got Kevin to help carry things. That last paragraph to your kids made Jenn and me cry, very touching. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Rhonda said...

I love you guys. I am so excited for Tadesse to come home. I miss you Mom and Dad.
Love, Maya

Dear Mom and Dad,
I hope you have a great time in Ethiopia. Thank you for all the great work you are doing in Ethiopia.
Love, Zach

I miss so much I can't sleep because I am too sad. I am so excited when Tadesse comes home.
Love, Emmanuel

I hope you are having a great time at Ethiopia. I am so excited for Tadesse to come home. I miss you so much.
Love, Allison

I love mom and dad. I wish you could come home. I like taking tubbies with Clarissa. I wish I could come with you.
Love, Naomi

Clarissa sends you a great big smile.

The kids are doing great. Have fun there and stay safe.
Love, Rhonda