Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day One In Ethiopia!




We LOVE Ethiopia!!! The people are beautiful, kind and generous. The culure is rich and gorgeous. The food is UNBELIEVABLY FANTASTIC. We have seen very few tourists which is really too bad for them. I think everyone still thinks of Ethiopia as a desert with starving people everywhere. Not true!! It is clean and green and the weather is very mild. It is not too humid and during the day it is usually sunny and 70 degrees. There are very, very few beggers and homeless people around (San Francisco has far more) because they are controlled by the police in the major city areas (our drivers says that there are a lot of homeless but they live on streets with ironic names like Mexico Road). It is really a very pleasant and a fun tourist destination.
Last night we went to an amazing traditional Ethiopian restaurant with live music. It was sooooo fun. I have really enjoyed Ethiopian music since we have been here. I am definitely going to have to find some to purchase. It has a great dance beat but it is also very soulful and mystical. I have also enjoyed the prayer calls 5 times a day at the mosque next to the guest house. They play it over a loud speaker for the world to hear. The singer has the most amazing voice. It is very soothing and really touches the soul.
The Ethiopians are in a terrible gas shortage. There are lines over a mile long at each open gas station and most are closed. The thing I find impressive is that the gas prices while high are still staying relatively low given the demand ($1 per liter). I wonder if there is government regulation. I am really glad we have decided to fly to Bahar Dar and Lalibela. I would feel horribly guilty using that much gas.
Today we visited Lucy (the oldest human skeletal remains to be found) at the National Museum and she is tiny! I always thought of cave people as big oafs (sorry to the guys on the Geico commercials) but she is tiny and delicate like an upright monkey. We also did lots of shopping. Lots of great finds and plenty of haggling. My home will definitely have an African flair now. Don't worry kids, Mom bought something for everyone. We also visited AHOPE orphanage which is an orphanage for HIV+ children. Most of the kids were at school so I didn't get hardly any pictures for families, sorry. The family adopting Sammy, he is DEVINE. He fell instantly in love with Kevin and let him carry him all over. He was upset when we left him there though which was heartbreaking. AHOPE was very clean, bright and wonderful!! We came unannounced and so I feel we saw it as it really was. I was very impressed (and I have seen lots of orphanages in my day). The most wonderful thing about our visit to AHOPE is that I learned all the little ones (ages 3 and under) have families!! Not even possible a year ago.
The guest house we are staying at is far from desirable. Instead of staying on one of the very nice hotels here in Addis we are forced to stay here in order to be with our son. The new Ethiopian laws state that we cannot take our newly adopted child out in public, including hotels. So once we pick up Teddy, we will literally be stuck here. The orphanage director runs this guest house so we can bring Teddy here, definitely much better then visiting him at the orphanage and then returning to the Hilton and I am greatful for that. For those who travel after me, if you are used to staying at the Best Western though, you will be greatly disappointed. Things I wish I had brought with me are pillow cases, flip flops for the shower and bug powder for the beds. It is very nice to have a kitchen though. And there are other adoptive families staying here which makes the atmosphere loving and friendly. The internet is dial-up so I am not going attempt pictures. Sorry!! Also there is not a major grocery store or even what we would consider a descent corner market so I wish I would have brought some easy fix foods with me as I will not be able to leave here with Teddy. Things like those dried soups where you just add water would be nice.
Today we will visit Kidane (the orphanage Teddy is at) and spend the morning there. Then we are off to the embassy appointment with Teddy. Unfortuntely, we are learning that those seeking waivers are having a very hard time and are staying much longer then hoped for. My hopes of getting out of here on Thanksgiving day are dwindling fast. But please keep up the prayers. I would love a miracle. Especially since we will be unable to go and do fun things. Instead we will be stuck behind the walls of the guest house.
Tonight we plan on returning Teddy to the orphanage and traveling through Ethiopia for a couple of days. I hope that he does ok with that and I especially hope that I have the stomach to do it. We will see. I just think I will go insane if I have to stay 3 weeks here and I really want to get out of the city and see true Ethiopia.
To my kids, we LOVE you so much!!! If you are good for Auntie Rhonda, we have great gifts for you from Ethiopia. And as I know you will ask, Dad will be home in 5 days. Mom does not know when she can come home, it just depends on when the American government says we can leave. I miss you.
One final interesting note. Snickers here in Ethiopia is the shape and packaged like Tootsie Rolls. Still super yummy though.
Much Love,
Kelly

No comments: