Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day 8: Prisoners of the Ritmo

Sorry it has been a couple of days since my last entry. Internet is considerably harder now that Kevin has left with his laptop. The internet is often out here and I cannot send out emails (I can receive, just not send). So I have to have someone with an Ethiopian account send it out for me. Besides the internet, the water is often out, or sometimes just the hot water, or sometimes just the power. So far, we have not had all 3 out at the same time, but we also rarely have had all 3 on at the same time.

I am definitely going stir crazy now. Like the title said, we are prisoners here at the guest house. The new Ethiopian laws do not allow me to take
Teddy into public and so we must stay behind the big iron gate. I am
sooooo glad we are here vs. in a small hotel room though. Despite its faults, the guest house is great in many ways. It is nice to have other families to complain with, other children for Teddy to socialize with, a kitchen, a driveway to get outside, a TV and VCR, and a kitchen.

But anyone who knows me at all, knows that I am NOT a homebody. As Rhonda can now testify, I like my life to be go-go-go. We are always on the move in a hectic, crazy, but highly productive fashion. Here I have NOTHING to do and the walls are closing in for sure. The one positive is that I have this adorable little guy to spend it with. This is the ultimate in hibernating so we have had lots of opportunities to bond and just "be"
together. Much more then I ever would have allowed myself at home. If Teddy was not so sick, I would say that it was a blessing in many ways.

The doctor said today that Teddy needs to get home. His lungs are filled with gunk and his pneumonia is bad. She says we should leave. She wrote a letter for the embassy but they won't accept it. Kevin is going to try Orin Hatch and see if he can convince DHS to approve us. He has been a wonderful advocate for adoptive families and even traveled to Haiti to help adoptive families there. I pray that it works. Teddy also has really bad ring worm and a horrible allergic reaction all over his body. The poor kid is a walking Petri dish. Fortunately, the scabies is gone.

Despite all this, he is the cutest little boy. He loves to entertain and make people laugh. He eats NONSTOP in quantities I do not feel are humanly possible. He knows lots of English and communication so far has not been a major issue. He does like to test the limits and can throw a tantrum or two but they are always short-lived when ignored. He loves to boss me around and tell me how to do EVERYTHING. I think he thinks I am a little dumb because I do not know Amharic so I must not know much of anything. He still won't give me kisses but he will hold my hand, sit on my lap, and snuggle when sleepy. He loves to ride in the sling I brought which has been great for bonding. Thanks Erin for suggesting it!

To my kids: Is it fun having dad home now? You still need to be super good until mom gets home so you can get your Ethiopian presents. Teddy and I sat down and looked at your pictures today so hopefully he will recognize you when he gets home. He likes Naomi's glasses and wants some too. I hope he is not afraid of Molly because they did have a dog at his orphanage. I don't know if the dog was nice though because none of the kids were playing with him. Teddy will probably be shy at first when he gets home so we will just have to let him have some space and be super kind to him. I know you guys will be the best brothers and sisters because you already are. I have the best kids in the whole world. I don't know why God gave me the best kids but I am so glad He did. Thank you for being good for Auntie Rhonda.
If I was home right now I would squeeze each of you so hard and kiss you one hundred times. I love you.

Kelly

1 comment:

Andrea Hill said...

Kelly, thanks for your wonderful entries. I love reading them. Hang in there and hopefully you will get to travel Thanksgiving.